Description of the Area
It is said that no two visits to the Kalahari are the same. This ancient and beautiful land is not only amazingly rich in diversity; it also reflects an endless variety of moods, making each new encounter refreshingly different from the previous.
This ancient and beautiful land is not only amazingly rich in diversity it also reflects an endless variety of moods, making each new encounter refreshingly different from the previous ones. The Kalahari extends north of Upington into the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park that forms the shares its borders with Namibia and Botswana and is one of the largest conservation areas in the world.
The colour of the dunes in the southern Kalahari can be attributed to the high iron oxide content of the sand. In areas of higher rainfall and in shallow areas where water collects, the iron oxide is leached out, causing the sand ultimately to turn white. The gradual effect of the leaching transforms the desert into a wonderful variety of colours.
Besides the red dunes, some of the most obvious features of the Kalahari landscape are the nests of the sociable weaver birds. The colonies have up to 50 chambers housing as many as 300 birds.
Since the Kalahari is a desert, daytime temperatures can be extremely high and in winter, night-time temperatures can drop below zero, though the days are usually warm and pleasant. Thunderstorms are common during the rainy season between November and April.
4 Day MTB Tour Information
You will experience saltpans, black rock koppies, red sand dunes, dry riverbeds, wide open skies and flat-topped acacia trees that symbolise the Kalahari Red Dune Route. You will experience the Kalahari Meerkat, Vulture Restaurants and lots of birdlife and see various Game. Each day you will cycle to a new destination where we will spend the rest of the day, see the best of that area, have lunch, dinner and breakfast there and experience the best of the Kalahari.
You will NOT cycle in between the dunes or on sand, only on gravel roads. For 4 days cycling and for 4 nights you will experience the beauty of the Red Dune area. You will cycle on the Namibian and Botswana border, staying at Game Reserves and beautiful lodges and 1 night in luxury tents.
You will cycle to the Kalahari Lost City and over a big salt pan. Each day you will cycle to the next Game lodge, experiencing the sunset over the salt pans after a Game drive, while you are enjoying a sundowner.
Each venue has its own character, and the routes are planned so that you will experience the best of the Kalahari (without having to cycle in soft sand).
|DATE||31 March – 4 April 2023|
|START VENUE||Molopo Lodge, close to Askham, Kalahari|
Red Dune Cycling top extra R1400 on order
|ENTRY LIMIT||Limited to 18 entries|
You will cycle from venue to venue on mainly gravel roads, jeep tracks, hard salt pans, and sections of quiet tar roads. You will NOT cycle over sand dunes or on sand.
Your overnight gear will be transported from place to place to the accommodation lodges and Game Reserves on the Red Dune Route, Kalahari.
Day 1: 43km, elevation 130m
Day 2: 45km: elevation 130m
Day 3: 50km: elevation 100m
Day 4: 17km
Highlights of the Tour
- Cycle over big flat salt pans of the Kalahari;
- Experience milking of the Camels;
- See The Lost City of the Kalahari;
- Experience the Kalahari Meerkats
- Stay on Game Reserves and go on Game Drives each day;
- Enjoy the sundowners on a Red Dune or over a Saltpan each night
- Experience the Vulture Restaurant
- Experience the hospitality of the Kalahari people;
- Enjoy sundowners on a red dune or over a saltpan
- Stay in the middle of the Red Sand Dunes;
- Experience the best of the Red Dunes of the Kalahari
- Cycle close to the Botswana border; and
- Stay on the Namibia / RSA border
Entry fee includes
- 4 Night accommodation (3 nights in lodges and 1 night in a luxury tented camp);
- 4 Days of MTB Riding;
- All meals.
- Transport of your gear;
- Cycle through the Lost City of the Kalahari.
- Cycle over Saltpans
- Experiencing the Camel milking.
- Stay 1 night on the Namibia Border; and
- Experience the beautiful sunsets over the saltpans
- Enjoy the Game drives
- Enjoy the Vulture Restaurant
- All permissions of private Game owners.
Entry fee excludes
- Alcoholic and other drinks or by at the lodges
- Transport to and from Molopo Lodge; and
14:00 Arrival at Molopo Lodge
18:00 Welcome and drinks at the Bar
Cycling through the Kalahari on gravel roads,
saltpans, jeep tracks etc, no sand roads.
Stay at a different venue each night.
All your gear will be transported to each overnight’s destination
Finishing every day with sundowners overlooking
the Kalahari Red Dunes, a Saltpan or enjoying the Game Reserve
Last morning, cycling a short distance, pick up your cars.
Optional extra night at Molopo lodge, please arranged